The Skilled-Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) is for skilled workers and their families to live, work and study in specified regional areas in Australia for four years.
There are two pathways for this visa:
the Invited Pathway
the Extended Stay Pathway – you must hold a provisional visa in subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496.
For family members who are included in your visa application (in either visa pathways), they must be a family member of someone who already holds this visa (subclass 489) or a provisional visa in subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496.
You might be eligible to apply for this visa if invited and you are either:
nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency, or
sponsored by an eligible relative living in a Designated area of Australia.
When we sent your letter of invitation, you must also have:
- been nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area
- nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list
- a suitable skills assessment for that occupation,
- not yet turned 50 years of age
- achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test
- at least competent English.
Your invitation is based on the claims made in your expression of interest. Your application must achieve at least the score specified in your invitation to apply when assessed against the points test.
Extended Stay Pathway
You might be eligible to apply for the Extended Stay Pathway if you are the skilled worker who has held one of the following visas and complied with all visa conditions, for at least two years before applying for this visa:
- provisional Skilled—Independent Regional visa (subclass 495)
- provisional Skilled—Designated Area Sponsored Provisional visa (subclass 496)
- provisional Skilled—Regional Sponsored visa (subclass 475)
- provisional Skilled—Regional Sponsored visa (subclass 487).
You must have never held more than one of the above visas.
This visa allows you and your family to:
- stay in Australia for up to four years
- live, work and study in a specified regional area of Australia
- travel in and out of Australia while the visa is valid.
To be able to apply for this visa, you must first submit an expression of interest and then be invited through SkillSelect. If you receive an invitation, you will have 60 days to apply online for the visa. During that time, you cannot change the information in your expression of interest.
To submit a complete expression of interest, you must have competent English language skills and a positive skills assessment for your nominated occupation (or Job Ready program, if applicable).
Your visa application is likely to require extensive supporting documents, as listed in the document checklist. Start compiling your documents early in the process, even before you submit your expression of interest.
STEP 1: Apply English test through us.
STEP 2: Pay Registration and Assessment fee, if you secure a score which is equivalent to COMPETENT (6 in each module) english or ABOVE.
STEP 3: Send us required documents (Check List).
STEP 4: ASSESSMENT.
STEP 5: EXPRESSION OF INTEREST.
STEP 6: STATE SPONSORSHIP/FAMILY SPONSORSHIP.
STEP 7: VISA INVITATION.
STEP 8: PAY DEPARTMENTAL CHARGES.
STEP 9: VISA GRANT LETTER.
STEP 10: Plan your trip.
STEP 11: Notify us, if any changes in your contact details (It is your responsibility, to notify the department about any changes in circumstance).